Wednesday, September 3, 2008

a moving picture giving and taking

I love how in the middle of a page, right after he has explained how to do something he will say something like: if you feel compelled to experiment with this right now then this is where I leave you, or something like that. It is also very helpful how explains the different types of film: black leader, clear leader and so on. It seems as if he is really into his filmmaking but there is a hint of sarcasm when he explains things. His explanations and great detail started to bore me because 1 - I did not have film to work with in front of me, and 2 - I know what spracket holes and 8mm film looks like. So all of this seemed a little drawn out but I understand some of the readers may not be filmmakers, yet! I like how he gives that brief story about Melies. That was a breath of fresh air. I like how he gives the little analogy about going to a Dartmouth football game when explaining how to understand something you must first understand the language and technique. "I DON'T WANT TO DISCOURAGE YOU FROM ATTEMPTING ANYTHING. . ." Great quote.

If you have a light meter, give it away. hahaha He then goes on to say, stop reading this book, or something to that nature. I wonder what Glenn Pack would think of this. I love his outlook on equipment. I totally agree with borrowing cheap equipment especially as a young filmmaker. Things were little confusing when he was explaining the rayogram. I had a hard time visualizing what he was saying. All-in-all I found the article very helpful.

No comments: