Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One-Shot

I'm really excited about the one-shot. It know it sounds crazy but I'm more creative when I am given boundaries. I feel like it makes me think outside of the box. Whichever way we approach this project we are going to be unique. The average cut is every 5 seconds in a Hollywood film so no matter what we do it's going to be interesting.

I particularly liked the film where Colin is playing guitar and then the entire rag-tag group walks down the sidewalk like a parade playing different instruments and dancing to their own beat. I say "there own beat" only because I saw Colin made the music with garage band in the credits. Kudos to him for syncing up the music with the action that is not always easy to do. So the ensemble approach seems fun and suiting for the project but I want to approach differently.

I think the POV one shot is very intriguing. The video "Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy explore this idea. I'm considering this style for my one-shot.

I also like the idea of the camera following one person then moving on to someone else when it gets boring. One of the 6x1 groups did this and it was very cool. I remember seeing a film in Kruel's class where the entire movie was like this. It was awesome. I'm so angry I can't remember the name of the film. It was part of the mumblecore genre. This is another idea I'm considering.

I also like the idea of having a camera follow someone but not in POV. Like in the film Children of Men or in the music video "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend. The idea is the camera follows the protagonist through the very different situations with very different people but never cuts it just follows the person from one group to the next. A lot of the scenes in Children of Men are one shot scenes however in some of the action scenes the cheat a cut or two, but it's the same idea.

No comments: