Tuesday, October 28, 2008

48 hour shoot

The 48-hour video race is really exciting. I love thinking of new ways to make art. I hate it when people just copy what everyone has done before. I forgot who said this in class but a security camera is an awesome idea. I’m really trying to explore different ways to make this shoot interesting. I was thinking about maybe shooting with a still camera like the film we saw in class then maybe switching it up with a cell phone, or a security camera at a heightened moment in the short. It was also thinking about trying to use the security cameras from the ATMs. If I could somehow use these cameras that would be cool too.
Scanners, digital cameras, and web cams are the only other forms I can think of right now. If some more ideas come to me I will write it on another blog. I think the stipulations of this project with force us to be more creative and therefore, help us use this creativity constructively. The projects I have worked on in 6x1 will help me with all different forms of filmmaking because it forces the artists to think of new and better ways to use the medium instead of relying on the past. It’s ok to make an homage but when an artist sticks to something just because it works, and has worked in the past then they are not really an artist. A really artist creates and explores and this is how I want to approach the 48-hour shoot. I was to do something that has never been done before. I don’t know if I’m going to successful but this is my goal.
I really like that ATM idea I had. I need to go speak to some local banks and see what they have to say. I wonder how long you can shoot on a digital camera. That would be interesting to find out. I guess I need to do a little more research for this project. I’m interested to see what other classmates write for the 48 hour shoot. Another thing that is cool about this is the mystery prop. You can’t prep too much because we don’t know what the mystery prop is. This could put an entire kink in my project if I start with an idea but I don’t know how to incorporate the mystery prop. But, I think it’s a great idea because it just makes you think even more creative.
It’s very nerve racking if you think about it. First, you have to come up with a cool and interesting way to shoot a short without a camera. Then, you can’t prepare anymore than getting a general idea of what you want to do, because you have to allow for this mystery prop to be introduced 48 hours before it’s due! I don’t think this is bad, I think this is great because I find that some of my best ideas come off-the-cuff when I’m not really concentrated and it just comes as a whim.
Another thing I like about this project is everyone gets to do their own. First, this means that everyone has to pull their own weight. And, it also means that you don’t have to rely on a group. I like group work don’t get me wrong but sometimes you just want to work by yourself. I think the expression is, “too many chiefs in the kitchen.” Anyway, I think that film is a collaborative medium and that’s a good thing because if everyone has a specific job then it makes the project that much better. However, sometimes naturally I want to do everything myself and this gives me an opportunity to do that on a small scale and I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: