Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Rough Theatre

I like the idea of rough theatre. It makes sense to me. Sometimes you take the long way home just because it feels better. Sometimes you would rather go to the “hole in the wall” bar instead of the newest club. I think this is the same idea as the rough theatre. Art should not be questioned. Either you like it or you don’t. To me, rough theatre means that anywhere can be a stage and anyplace and hold a viewing. Rough theatre reminds me of the DYI movement in punk music. If anything 6x1 has inspired me. With this type of filmmaking I no longer have to rely on cast and crew. However, the idea or rough theatre takes it a step further. All restrictions should be thrown out the window. It’s the idea that a mistake is a good thing because you were probably planning too much anyway.
Just get a group of likeminded individuals and build a community. I may be reading into this way too much but I feel like we could use a little rough theatre at UNCW. The film community, specifically film studies is spread too thin. Everyone needs to help everyone else. Rough theatre is also about doing something just for the sake of doing it. It would be nice to see what it would be like if every film student tried make every idea that popped into their head. I know this is impossible, but that’s the idea. The idea that anything goes, we will figure out an easier way of doing something.
6x1 also reminds me of the DYI movement. Cameraless filmmaking really interests me. The idea of turning something into something completely different is a lot of fun. I also love how when we create something in 6x1 everyone has a different opinion on what it means or how it makes them feel. This is very different from narrative or documentary productions. In a narrative film you are confined to the director’s perspective. However, the there is a sense of freedom and randomness in the art created in 6x1.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

It would be interested to see what would happen if every student in Film Studies got to make a film. I've never thought about that. How many films don't get made or pitched because they seem unmanagable, too far out there and so on? Hmm.