Thursday, November 20, 2008

CUCALORUS

I actually was filming all weekend, plus it was my girlfriends birthday, plus this is my senior year.... so I'm thinking about becoming a member of Cucalorus and renting all of the films I missed.  I was really upset we had to shoot this weekend, I wish we could have worked it out so that we could schedule it around the festival but it was impossible.  I managed to see some of the films before the weekend.  I caught Two Hours in the Dark by Chip, it's not a completed picture yet but he had all of the scenes.  It was nice to see how he planned out the cinematography and since Chip has experience in the camera department as well as the writing I think the product is going to be very nice.  We saw the trailer in class and I personally think it could be expanded into a feature.  
Anyway, I caught Ichthyopolis I really think I connected with my inner fish.  I really love the opera bites.  I also hear a lot of these in your film where you used the scanner.  I think this is part of your style and as a filmmaker I think this is very important.  I thought it was great.  Fish are such interesting creatures and mixing that with the human and giving each there own vibe was very amusing.  I thought the colors and images were very psychedelic and captured ones attention.  It's very hard for me to sit through most experimental films but this one was very stimulating.  I'm a narrative guy so if I can find some type of narrative structure, I'm happy.  I could really follow the fish and the owners and the fish changing the owners, I thought it was great.
I also tried to go to Jengo's on Thursday night but I got there too late.  So of course I went to the back and drank.  But it was great, Dr. Kreul had this DJ thing going where he was mixing music with controlled images hooked up to a midi player and all of the film students were hanging out.  It was one of the few times that UNCW film studies really feels like a community and I think this is one of the things this program lacks.  It think Cucalorus helps film studies a lot and I think it is a great experience for anyone who is into independent film.

No comments: