Thursday, November 6, 2008

Up to date....

Excuse the grammatical errors in advance.

So far 6x1 has been a blast.  I feel like we have had a lot of fun and it has been a nice class to just cool the critical studies for a while and express myself artistically.  It has also helped me learn that accidents are sometimes positive and art is objective.  I agree strongly with the idea that art should not be judged.  As long as an artist stays true to their convictions and creates something that represents what they want to portray.  I have also found liberation in confinement.  For 6x1 we are given pretty strict guidelines and sometimes we do not always follow these guidelines but I have found it you try and follow the instruction provided you will find new and creative ways to make interesting work.  For example, the 48 hour shoot is very strict with it's guidelines but without these we may not be able to look outside of the generic ways of creating film.  It's almost like the best is the best not because we think its the best or it looks the best but only because it's the norm and 6x1 forces us to look "outside the box" and try to predict was something is going to look like if we try this or that.  But, many times I am just shooting in the dark and creating something new and interesting that may give life to an entirely new project or can be Incorporated in other projects like narrative projects or documentary projects.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 3D projects are going to look like.  It was fun to try to create something that will look better in 3D but it seems that it is very hit or miss.  It's like you have to try a bunch of cool different things and troubleshoot them and hopefully they look good when you project everything.  It was interesting seeing how a 3D image is created.  Filming the two cameras together was very difficult because all the action had to happen in a very tight framing.  After reviewing the footage I think we would have blocked the actions very differently.

As we get toward the end of the semester it seems that 6x1 has padded my reel more than any of my other production class.  We cram a lot into this class and I think that is a good thing.  I believe we all want to be filmmakers because it is something interesting and exciting.  I want to be a filmmaker because every day will be different, and this is exactly how this class is.  You can expect everything to be different, every class something new will happen.  This is what I love about 6x1.  You have an idea about how class is be but most of the time you have a completely new experience.

No comments: